What to do if you find a stranded marine mammal on the beach or shore
If you find a live stranded marine mammal contact the RSPCA immediately on:
0300 1234 999
or Welsh Marine Life Rescue (WMLR) on:
or British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR) on:
If the animal is dead then contact The Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP) on:
The National Strandings Line: 0800 6520333
Download the CSIP leaflet, including a species identification chart, can be downloaded at
• Please give your name and number.
• An accurate description of where the animal is.
• What you think the animal is.
• An approximate length of the animal.
• Condition of the carcass: i.e. freshly dead, slight decomposition, moderate decomposition, advanced decomposition